Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday Dinners

It seems in most British households that a Sunday roast is a must and although I was born and raised in Canada this is a tradition I have certainly kept. Sundays in our house are what as known as Family Day. My mom, my husband's parents, and the four of us can be found at my place at around 4pm, often times our good friends Val and Donnie can be found here as well, and sometimes their family too!

This Sunday I made roast leg of Lamb. I don't make lamb often, I do enjoy it, but its not something I would like to eat day in and day out. We had mint sauce with our lamb, its a must! And I have to admit I do go crazy on the veg, baby new potatoes, baby carrots, cabbage, broccoli and peas. I like to think it makes up for the rest of the week when I know I won't get as much vegetables as I should.

If you have never had lamb, don't go to the expense of buying it if it really isn't in your budget. Its an acquired taste, and a bit costly if you don't end up liking it.

I roast my boneless leg of lamb in a 400F oven, lightly coated with olive oil, garlic, and rosemary. 20 minutes per pound and about 15 minutes to settle. Lamb is usually served to a medium doneness, but if you like it more or less cooked I guess its up to you. I make gravy from the drippings by adding a splash of wine to the roasting pan to loosen all the yummy bits, and then thickening it with either cornstarch or flour.

We had a bit of lamb left over so I think I will search for a Moroccan lamb dish to make later on in the week. I will let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment